McDonald’s gets out of a bit of a pickle

A woman who claimed she was permanently scarred by a hot pickle from a McDonald’s hamburger has settled her lawsuit against the chain.

The Toronto Star
April 14, 2001

McDonald’s gets out of a bit of a pickle

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – A woman who claimed she was permanently scarred by a hot pickle from a McDonald’s hamburger has settled her lawsuit against the chain.

Veronica Martin claimed she suffered a second-degree burn on her chin after an extremely hot pickle fell from a burger she bought in October, 1999.

MAR Inc., which does business as McDonald’s in Knoxville, admitted no wrongdoing in the agreement finalized Thursday. Other details of the deal are to remain confidential.

The suit contended the pickle was defective and unreasonably dangerous to the customer, breaching an implied warranty for safely. Martin sought $110,000 (U.S.) while her husband, Darrin, sought $15,000 for losing the services and consortium of his wife.

McDonald’s has been sued for hot products before.

In 1994, a New Mexico woman was awarded $2.7 million after hot coffee spilled and burned her. The award was later reduced to $500,000.


Brought to you by WikiFranchise.org

Risks: Gag order (confidentiality agreement), Canada, 20010414 McDonald’s gets

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License